Saturday, July 21, 2012

American Fork Half Marathon & 5K Family Run

Beautiful American Fork Canyon

After last years success of some of the family doing this same run, they decided to do it again. So those that were interested signed up and started to train (& some did not, TRAIN) 
But when I heard that some of the family wanted to dedicate their RUN to someone they knew (a Paskett cousin who was currently living with Cancer) I asked if I might RUN for my Aunt Shari who is also living with the effects of Cancer. I had called Uncle Merrill and Aunt Shari one afternoon and asked if that would be okay with them. They were grateful & cute. But I guess it got the ball rolling and everyone wanted to add or RUN for someone special to them. So here was our list... 
LIFE- A Race Worth Running for... Cousin Ann, Aunt Shari, Dad Kennedy, Aunt Marlene, Grandma Schneider, Sis-In-Law Jolene, Dad Bailey ...Cancer, Eat Our Dust!
We started the morning out with everyone up the canyon at 4:15 am at Tibble Fork. Then when the race began the runners were off and Grandpa, Amy, Adrienne, Kelly and I began our 13.1 mile walk/jog. We kept with everyone pretty good, but about at the mouth of the canyon Kelly & I started to gain some ground so we broke away from Grandpa, Amy and Adri.

Grandma Paskett caught up with us a few times to take a few pictures and check on Dad. She had Bailey, Madi and Averie with her. This is right before getting to the Schneider's home about mile 12, where she took a couple of pictures. And this is where the girls started to walk with us the rest of the way to the finish line. 
I had given the camera to Madi so she would take some pictures...and this is what we got-
Grandpa was the oldest runner & was a HiT with the crowd, everyone running back to meet him and see him cross the Finish Line.




The girls had made some GREAT and encouraging Signs for us...Notice the one Bailey made said the things I had told her OVER & OVER again while we had our Girls Camp 5 mile hike. :0)

"You Can Do Hard Things!"

And the signs Madi had made me...

The sign and my number and medal
Glad that's over with...I heard from someone that marathons are addictive- Not sure I'd go that far-

No comments: