Here we stopped at the first overlook area. Paradise Valley, AZ in the background.
The first UPHILL climb of the hike- The fencing is for our protection of NOT falling over the drop off. It was nice though, sometimes there was an "Iron Rod" available to keep you on the straight and narrow path.
I had climbed ahead, so I could take pics of our 'journey.'
Madi, and ALL the kids were REAL TROOPERS! Grandma too! She, I think was the oldest woman on the mountain that day I'm sure. She was quite an example- Her brother, my Uncle Phil hiked Camelback Mtn. everyday for years, then weekly and now he still hikes it quite often.
Grandma Paskett SO PROUD & cheering that she was hiking Camelback & making it! In the background is Mummy Mountain that my Uncle Phil's home is built on. We were trying to pick it out, and think we figured out which house it was. When my Mom & Phil were younger they, with my grandparents lived on the other side of Mummy Mountain. Back then though not the beautiful scenery as it is now.
As we had been climbing, there was a very large whitish in color form on the side of the mountain, clear up high- we couldn't figure out what it was. We later learned it was a BeeHive. Just after stopping to take some of these families pictures, we saw a very large dark cloud (swarm) of BEES coming OUR WAY! It was SO SCARY- There must've been thousands, tens of thousands. And on the outside of the swarm there were fewer bees, but still hundreds. You could hear the "HHHMMMMMM" of the bees, & then it got louder and louder. It was moving down on top of us. As the feeling of panic came over us, I knew that if we, as adults weren't calm, the kids would NOT be- so Kelly & I calmly said "Stop where you are, crouch down as low as you can go, don't run, just stay CALM!" I knew my girls were 'freaking out!'inside. But everyone was quiet, and calm- you could feel them all around us, the 'HHHMMMMMing' all around us, the people on the outside of this were watching the few groups that the bees surrounded. Over the 2 to 3 minutes that this happened, it seemed like forever. As the sound grew softer, the ease of our minds lightened. Then we just sat and watched the bees fly higher and higher then up into the cliffs again and disappeared. And "NO" I didn't take any pics of this, so you'll just have to beleive me & the others story. I beleive this picture was taken soon after though, if I remember right-
No comments:
Post a Comment