Brandon Michael Vance, Micah Watkins and Jacob Randall
Then on the morning of Saturday, March 3rd 2012 we were sitting around doing the normal, getting ready for soccer practice, going to futsal, doing chores when I got on Facebook and saw that Desi Guerreo, a friend of Tanner's had posted a pic of a really bad car accident at the base of Suncrest Road on the Highland side. Then others started to comment on her fb post that the "little white toyota truck" was "Kirsten King's". You will know this name because it is the CUTE young women that asked Tanner to his FIRST dance- Sadie Hawkin's back in October.
This day just happened to be the same day of when Lone Peak HS Basketball team was going to play at the Maverick Center in SLC for the STATE Title. Kids were headed over to the school to ride the buses up, or packing in the cars to head up to the game. But with this tragic news, life was changing dramatically for one family, the King's.
These next few paragraph's are taken from Kirsten's Caringbridge page.
"Kirsten was in a serious accident on the morning of Saturday, March 3, just a mile away from home. While the details remain unclear at this point, life changed in an instant for that sweet, vibrant, sassy, 16 year old girl.
Here is what is known: The full force of the impact hit the driver's side, leaving her with severe injuries, some of which were life-threatening. Both bones were broken in her lower left leg, the left side of her pelvis is shattered, her right lung collapsed, and she sustained a major brain injury. You can check her current status at CaringBridge."
As the news got around, it was difficult to wait to hear any updates, and Tanner wasn't getting much from friends at school, then finally, they the family starting posting info on "Caringbridge" a website that is a place for families to make journal entries, share information, photos, etc. with family, friends & loved ones.
This is where I've been able to keep up to date on the progress of Kirsten. But I would like to add here a few personal entries from Caringbridge "guestbook" that will help you to feel & to remember the POWER of the gospel and the testimonies that have been borne during this trial & challenge. May we all learn, grow and become stronger because of what we see others go through or what we, ourselves go through- Here are a few entries that have touched me & I have shared with some of you, and hope they touch all those who hear or read these words.
------------
This is Kirsten's Bishop-
Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:46 AM
I
simply want to testify of God's love for his children. For two years
during Dec-March I coach my daughter's 9 year old soccer team at an
indoor facility in Salt Lake every Saturday at 730 am. I always come
home around 10:30 am and pass Smith's, but my wife (Christy) wanted me
to stop off at 123rd South and go to Einstein's. I decided to go over
sun crest after. Which I NEVER do.
As
I came down the hill I saw the Jeep and a white truck. I knew it was
bad. I didn't see anyone in the white truck so I jumped up on top of
the Jeep that turned on it's side and started to help...
I
keep thinking where is that white truck driver? I thought maybe he/she
was ejected. As I came to the truck I saw a young person pinned by the
car door that had been crushed. I immediately noticed a large bleeding
gash on the back of her head. I took my jacket off and placed it on
the wound to try and stop the bleeding.
I
want to testify that the Spirit whispered to me this was one of my
Young Women...I moved her hair from her face and tears filled my eyes as
I realized it was Kirsten. I called out to her, "Kirsten you are a
strong young woman. You are a daughter of God and he loves you....you
are going to be okay....". I called 911 and Cathy. Brother Wells and I
were able to administer a blessing....
I
am very respectful of every persons belief system. However, I testify
with directness that God lives and that he places us in one another's
lives to LOVE and SERVE one another.
Be strong Cathy, Jeff and family! We love you. We are praying and fasting for you all.
Bishop Sean K. Brown
----------
Here is a guestbook sign in from the mother of Janelle Read, the
young woman who I mentioned above that was also in a major car accident
in front of Lone Peak HS.
Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:01 PM
My name is
Stacy Read and our 16 yr old daughter was in a car accident on Jan 9th
in front of Lone Peak High Heavenly Father placed four men ( our heros)
there at her accident. Just as Heavenly Father placed your Bishop there
too. Complete strangers to us, as we moved her from Oregon 2 yrs ago and
have no family and really no friends. Our new ward has been amazing as
has all of our nieghbors and friend back in Oregon. You have such a
great family of support and I know your ward is wrapping your family up
as well, with food , support, helps, prayers ect..
. She was life flighted to IMC where they operated on her bladder
asap, as it had burst and was bleeding , had 3 skull fractrues, and 7
pelvic fractures with bones that were crushed. Bleeding on her brain,
the blood clots too. With in a few days her brain calmed down to where
they could concentrate on her pelvis. 13 hr pelvic surgery and now on
her 2nd month of recovery, she is able to use crutches a little. Its
been a long road with a lot longer to go ,but the outcome looks good.
I know that our Heavenly Father lives and answers our prayers!! He
will answer your friends and families prayers too! Our hearts go to you
and your family, we are praying for you and plan on fasting on Friday
for you!!. Heavenly Father placed your bishop there to be there for you
to make sure you got the blessings you needed. I am so looking forward
to meeting you and getting to know you, as does Janelle. We will keep
in contact to see your progress and just letting you know how we care
and hope for the best!! Stacy and Janelle Read
Stacy Read
-------------
This is a friend of the grandparents of the King's with well wishes-
Monday, March 12, 2012 4:45 PM
joleen claessens
------------
There are MANY touching and Beautiful, loving journal entries & guest sign in's- I want to add one that I wrote and the response I got.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:48 AM
Brooke Gillett
----------
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:03 PM
jeff king
-----------
Now I would like to add the most recent journal entries from Kirsten's parents-
Friday, March 30, 2012 8:58 PM, MDT
Day 28
After
a busy day today of trying to take care of many things at home left to
their own I,m back w Kirst tonight. She looks pretty tired right now but
was shedding a few tears while we read from the guest book a minute
ago. She has been doing that often the last few days, it sounds sad but
it is wonderful that she does when being worked with. It shows that her
emotions are awakening!!! (I think she is still reacting to the news
that the mexi mustache mobile is toast): Her mom informed me that the
Dr's today were pleased that when being asked (yelled at!!) she will
squeeze her fingers more distinctly and move her thumb!!! She will also
blink tightly for her mom and had tears for her today. I HAVE NO DOUBT
SHE IS FIGHTING TO COME BACK! She did well in OT/PT today and they even
stood her up?!?!?!? I'm bringing her new long board for tomorrows work
out! Ok, maybe save that for next week. In actuality I kinda don't want
any of my kids to ever skateboard, ride a bike, chew gum or leave the
house ever, ever again!!!! She is doing better in her fight to over
come the pneumonia and urinary tract infection. Last night I was able to
help her nurse change her bedding out, I was humbled to give service to
my grown up baby girl who can not do for herself... where's my cord my
battery's dead!!!!!!!!!
Friday, March 30, 2012 11:53 PM, MDT
...ok,
somehow found the laptop cord buried under back seat full of dirty
clothes, soccer equipment and sleeping bags. Kiki has had a bath &
her Respiratory Therapy for tonight while I was gone. She is now
sleeping w a blanket over her for the first time because her core temp
has been so stable today. Her vitals are the best I've seen in weeks BP
78 HR 107 and 100% blood Oxy. She endures a shot in the stomach several
times a day for both blood thinner meds and insulin to help w blood
sugar issue. She really is a tough and amazing kid!!! Looking out the
window tonight off at the light of down town SLC, hoping all those who
will inspire and reprove us tomorrow are resting easy tonight.
28
days ago tonight I was worried about having enough time to prepare for
my youngest child, Jaymison's baptism day activities. Now that all seems
like forever ago. And in the midst of that day I got a call from Cathy,
that as a parent you sometimes consider, but quickly push to the back
of your thoughts. It did really happen. I am grateful that when it did
come and Cathy's panic words not connecting well in my head, Kirsten,
Critical, Pinned in the wreckage, Lost alot of blood, Life Flight, Get
straight to the Hospital. The only thing I remember saying back to her
was, Cathy, it's gonna be OK. And by that same Comforter, we have since
then, had so many others repeat to us, We know it,s gonna be OK.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
John
16:13 Howbeit when he, the spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you
into ALL truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he
shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Have a great and blessed weekend.
~Dad
Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:06 PM, MDT
just
a quick note this morning, Kiki had a good night resting well and
vitals stayed solid. She has not been as responsive this morning but we
get little bits of acknowledgement from her. We showed her herself on
the iphone camera during her range of motion workout. Her eyes were wide
open and she shed tears. We listened to 1st conference session
together. I'm excited to see what response we can get from her after she
has OT/PT today!!!
~Dad
---------------
Very touching and INSPIRING journal entries, that I have been blessed to be able to read, be inspired by, fast for and hopefully use to make ME better throughout MY journey and my family's. For the past 2 Fast Sunday's we have been blessed to be a part of the fast, and her name is a daily word being used in our home and prayed for.
After reading this, this morning I came across some more information about Kirsten & a 5K race Fundraiser they have put together, in her honor to help the family with raising medical bills- Saturday, May 19th at 8 am.
We may not KNOW you Kirsten, but we LOVE YOU and your family-






No comments:
Post a Comment